Thursday, May 2, 2013

Light Painting with Wireless Flash

I was able to add an external flash to my Sony Alpha DSLR equipment.  I picked up a used HVL-F36AM in excellent condition through KEH Camera.  I have used external flash before with my Canon DSLR equipment so I was not expecting this flash to be much different and in essence it isn't.  Except for one thing...Built in wireless capability.  Being able to move the flash off camera without the need of additional specialized attachments is really a treat.  I have done some experimenting with the flash and see that in the near future I will want additional off camera flash units.  I see great utility of these wireless flashes for on location portraiture.

 While the wireless function worked well; Sony's system is not the best.  The camera's built in flash still emits a pulse of light to communicate with the external flash.  For close up work this does effect the subject being photographed.  However, the process worked well.  These wireless flashes are addicting!






Here is a mash up of a crystal that I photographed with the off the camera flash and some colored gels.
(click for a larger view)


No comments:

Post a Comment